2012 is about to end. For some of the readers of this blog it has already ended as I write this.
What a year it has been for me. I have shed 100 plus pounds, gotten myself fit and trim, reinvented my daily diet, broken old destructive habits and found a new me under the old.
Not bad for 365 days.
Tonight our friend MR will join us and we will watch the bowl games and enjoy some snacks, some conversation, some laughter. At midnight we will say good-bye to 2012 and make wishes that 2013 will be a safe and happy year for all our friends and family.
I hope to see my west coast siblings this coming year. It has been too long. I have not seen my sister in at least three years. Far too long.
I have many plans for the coming year. Foremost among them is moving the family to Eastern Pennsylvania, about 95 miles from where we live currently. Simplifying life is high on the list. A smaller home, easier to maintain, less time working on the house, more playing with the family.
I have about eight or nine planned bikes rides on my calendar and many weekend rides ahead. I hope we find a nice place to live within cycling distance of work. I would like to ride 2-3 days a week to work in the nicer weather.
I plan to maintain the weight loss. That is very high on the list. Pushing my fitness level is high on the list as well. Regaining the weight is not going to happen. I will not let it.
Hiking some of the Huts in New Hampshire is on the list. I have to figure out how to make that happen. Riding from High Point to Cape May is a goal as well. I plan to do it over three days, not the one day death march on wheels that some do. Still it will be quite an accomplishment to do it. 240 miles or so….
I am continuing my slow evolution to vegetarian. I don’t know if I will ever be 100% vegetarian. I will continue to move in that direction because I just feel better when I eat less meats. I will never be Vegan. I treasure eggs and dairy too much to give them up completely… If in December of 2011 you had told me I would be moving towards vegetarian I would have stared at you as if you were visiting from Mars… I guess I should never say never….
Foods I miss
I have stopped eating a pretty wide range of foods and I am asked often if I miss certain foods. Here is a list:
- Meatloaf. I love Missus meatloaf and I do miss it. Missus makes it for the boys and I sit and stare at it…
- Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches. My ultimate comfort food and the single food I have least control around. Once I have one I have a second and the next day and the next day…. Love it but must avoid….
- Pizza. The food I have the second least amount of control around. I will eat a slice and then 5 more… I have had pizza once in the last year, with my good friend PB. We went for pizza at the Reservoir Tavern. Among the best you will have…. I was very good, two slices and no more but the temptation that day and for days after…. Best to avoid…
Chocolate Chip Cookie. I just love them with a tall cold glass of milk…
That is about it…
Foods I really Don’t miss much at all
- Red Meat. Thought I would but I don’t. I simply do not miss a burger or a steak. Meatloaf yes, the rest no.
- Doughnuts. I thought this would be really difficult but I don’t miss them. I had half a doughnut a couple of weeks ago and it felt greasy in my mouth. Hated the texture and the taste. I was stunned (and pleased).
- Cake and Pie. No desire…..
- Diet Coke. I used to consume 4-6 cans a day and now I never drink any soda at all. Simply do not miss it.
Went to the local warehouse club today and while I was picking up some hot sauce a lady struck up conversation about how I must love hot sauces and that is probably why I am so lean… Unsolicited. Out of the blue. These moments are so wonderful. To lose the weight and look better and feel better and to know that others, strangers, see you as lean and fit… It feels great.
Life has become so much more enjoyable. I do not need to eat and eat and eat to have a good time. I can just live. Life is good. I am enjoying it.
That is the biggest change in 2012. I went from unhappy, uncomfortable, and embarrassed to comfortable, healthy, happy, proud to be me.
I hope 2013 brings you all comfort love and joy.